- About Us
- Ministries & Programs
- Events, Media & Newsletters
- Get involved
Christ United Methodist Church
Christ United Methodist Church began as the Liberty Park Methodist Church in 1892, organized by Reverend E. G. Hunt. The first worship services were held in a tent located in the vicinity of 400 South and 700 East. The first building, a one-room frame structure at the northeast corner of 900 South and 800 East, was dedicated on Oct. 30,1892. When the congregation outgrew the building, they made plans to renovate the existing property, but in 1951 voted unanimously to move to the Southeast section of the city.
In 1952 the congregation purchased the Crest Theater, 2021 East 2700 South, where worship services and Sunday school classes were held. Next 1.6 acres of land on 3300 South were purchased and the name was changed to Christ Methodist Church.
Construction of the first unit of the building was begun in May of 1953. As the congregation grew in size, the building was expanded to include classrooms, offices, a chapel, a lounge and a kitchen, which were completed in 1963. Ground was broken on the property in 1965 for construction of a new sanctuary. The first worship service was held there in February, 1966. In 1968 the church's name was again modified to its current one, Christ United Methodist Church, when the greater Methodist Church merged with the Church of Evangelical United Brethren. In 2005 the building was expanded again, adding a gym and classrooms, which are used by congregation members and members of the community, such as Boy and Girl Scouts, and the Canyon Rim Community Council. The Inn, located in the basement, makes it possible for the Family Promise program to house its guests for extended stays.
The Methodists began serving the populations of Utah in 1826 through the work of Jedediah Smith, a lay preacher, fur trapper and explorer. He was called the 'Bible totin' Methodist explorer. By 1869 the foundation had been laid by many Methodists in Utah for a long lasting ministry. The Methodists became known for bringing education and schools to the Beehive state, working with immigrants and holding tent revivals. The Women's Home Missionary Society addressed a number of challenging issues of the time.
For more history information click on this Link to Utah State History Digital Collections. Type "Christ United Methodist" in the search bar, being sure to use the quote marks.
Painting of the Liberty Park Methodist Church hanging in the hallway at Christ United Methodist Church